The Babysitters

“Ross was always my favorite.”
“Really? Ross was like third or fourth for me depending on the season. Phoebe held the top spot the entire time though?”
“She wasn't very smart though.”
“Lauren, she just had a different way of thinking, I wouldn't classify it as dumb. Joey was dumb.”
“Awwww, I love Joey.”
“Well he does add to the ensemble quite well, but he's unfortunately my least favorite of everyone.”
“I think Phoebe might be my least favorite actually.”
“WHAT!? She was the funniest person on the show. When she was pregnant she was hilarious.”
“Rachel was pretty funny when she was pregnant too.”
“Yeah.”
“Later on we should watch some episodes.”
“Yeah we should. I really like the episode where the girls go to the strip club with Chandler.”
“I think my favorite is...”

At roughly that same moment the tree limb Caliyah, (the seven year old daughter of Beth, who Lauren and I were entrusted to watch while Beth was at work and not stare idly at other children play while discussing Friends,) was standing on snapped and she was dangling from a branch crying. Rather than state her favorite episode Lauren snapped back into babysitting mode and ran to save the helpless child hovering inches off the ground.

Instead of letting that ruin our day, we decided to rent one of the classic Disney movies so Caliyah could get wrapped up in the wonder like we would in nostalgia. I was pushing for The Sword and the Stone or Robin Hood, while Lauren liked the idea of getting Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast. Caliyah on the other hand was all about a Bratz movie but we refused to listen. After some serious negotiations we finally settled on Robin Hood, and left satisfied.
“Alright, let's go,” and Lauren led the way out of the bustling movie store. She followed that up with “Oh my god, Caliyah!”
Once Lauren ran back inside and retrieved Caliyah we headed to the car.
“I'll race you to the car,” Caliyah proposed. Lauren started to say 'absolutely not,' but mid statement I sprinted across the parking lot. My heart was racing as I looked back with a smile. I was determined to win and no one could stand in my way. When my hand touched the trunk a surge of energy poured through my veins. When I turned to see the look of disappointment on their faces I was greeted by a different look on Lauren's. Though she scolded me for participating, I basked in the glory of my victory all the way home.

At the house we started to settle down as I put in the movie and Caliyah and Lauren played with one of those fortune telling paper things. It's where you say a number, and the person with their index finger and thumb in the cleverly folded paper, moves the areas back and forth said amount of times and this all continues until you have your fortune told. I turn the movie on and Caliyah lays in the floor with her value pack of twizzlers and Lauren comes to sit by me.
“I'm really freaked out,” she tells me.
“Why?”
“Well I know it's stupid, but the one I picked said 'you die'”
“Oh, that is kind of creepy.”
“Yeah especially considering the other options were, 'you become president, you get a barbie, and you go to Disney world.”
“Well still, it's just a kid, the death prediction was probably the last thing she could think of, I wouldn't worry about it.”
“Well I know I shouldn't be creeped out, but I can't help it. I'm really anxious.”
"It's just a stupid fortune. You've gotta calm down."
"You wouldn't be saying that if it had been you that picked it."
"You're right."
"What!?"

No comments:

Post a Comment